Posted on 24 February 2017
UX Director at Red BadgerInterested in playing a pivotal role in the development of Red Badgers UX team?
We’re looking for a well seasoned, all round User Experience Practitioner with a proven track record of being hands on with projects.
The type of person you are
You are as happy working as part of a fast paced, Agile delivery team as you are leading client meetings and workshops. You are excited at the prospect of helping large scale, complex corporations design and build digital products that are used by millions of people.
Character traits that matter
- Core skills that matter
- Confidence to back-up your design decisions
- Ability to negotiate user needs with business requirements and technical limitations
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn software to help you communicate your ideas
- Workshop facilitation
- Experience required
- The type, variety and level of experience you have is more important than the actual number of years, but as a guideline you will probably have been working in the field for around 8 years, and have managerial experience.
What is expected of you as a Red Badger UX Director
You should have supreme knowledge and confidence using and describing the core methods and tools of the UX design process from research, through information architecture, user flows, interaction design, low fidelity prototyping, user testing and beyond.
- Builds brilliant client relationships
- Provide high level consulting, design advice and direction to the team and client
- Usability Testing
- Utilise qualitative and quantitative data, from user testing, web analytics, customer support, MVT, focus groups etc, to deliver actionable insights and recommendations
- Nurture other badger UX team members
- Handle yourself well with all levels of stakeholders
- `Strong people skills and presentations skills
- Working knowledge of Kanban
- Manage and develop a team of UX Designers and their careers within Red Badger
- Demonstrate successful integration of UX into an Agile environment
- Run workshops, design studios and regular knowledge sharing sessions
- Write/create relevant documentation if necessary, which may include personas, wireframes, flowcharts and usability test results as a way of supporting recommendations
- Champion usability and accessibility standards
- Stay abreast of innovations in UX best practices, tools and topics of interest to the UX community and help infuse them back into the organisation.
What does the role involve?
The role is wide and varied. At some point you will be involved in User Research, Information Architecture, Interaction Design, User Testing and other related specialisms.
It will be a hands on role, with time set aside for mentoring other UX designers which includes career progression advice and regular lunchtime sessions. Often, you will be a ‘User Experience designer of one’ working alongside a visual designer, some engineers and a project manager. It will be up to you to ensure you take the whole team on a journey to reach a mutually agreeable solution based on the knowledge you have about the user. Collaboration is critical for this role. Great things happen when a group of like minded people work together. You will choose the appropriate tools for the task and the majority of the time sketches and conversation trump detailed, annotated diagrams and wireframes.
We keep things lean during our process, delivering maximum value to the client and allowing the team to focus on the goal: getting stuff done, in the right way.
You will be part of an evolving business that cares about doing the right thing and cares passionately about the people who work within it.
Everyone at Red Badger has a mentor assigned to them. This is our way of ensuring that everyone is looked after. While we encourage everyone to look after each other, share knowledge and work as a collective, depending your own own wishes, goals and experience you may also be assigned a group of mentees.
About Red Badger
The best bit about Red Badger is of course the team. We’ve been around for 5 years now and we are nearly 70 strong. We are really proud of our team; we support and learn a lot from each other; we work really hard but have fun doing it. We are a diverse group made up of 16 different nationalities, we speak 17 different languages and unusually for a tech company we have a 50/50 gender split.
We were founded by 3 guys who have considerable tech and consultancy experience and still own 100% of the company. We’ve been consistently profitable and have grown responsibly from the beginning.
We are based at Old Street in the heart of “tech city” and get thoroughly stuck in with the brilliant community around us. We run several meetups including the hugely popular London React.js User Group, and the new Functional Programming on the Web meetup, invite other groups to host their events in our office such as ElasticSearch London and Ladies Who Code and speak at events like Digital Shoreditch and LNUG.
We make sure our team is well looked after with generous salaries and a great benefits package which includes:
- Annual £2K training budget
- Generous Pension
- Group Life Insurance
- Income Replacement Benefit
- Critical Illness Cover
- Private Medical Insurance
- Global Travel Insurance
- Your choice of hardware and mobile phone