Posted on 4 July 2017
Junior Designer at SoapboxOur mission is to communicate ideas that matter, working for charities, NGOs, think tanks and research organisations to make sure their messages reach the right audiences. Our clients include Chatham House, Imperial College London, UNICEF and many more.
We work on all types of creative output including print publications, infographics, branding, animation, websites and other digital products.
In this role you will be able to develop a wide range of skills, working on diverse print, digital and cross-platform projects as part of a small infographic-focused team within our wider design team. Interest in laying out simple publications or working on smaller branding projects would be a bonus.
We are a very customer-focused agency and we believe in giving our staff maximum professional autonomy, so you’ll often be in direct contact with clients, taking in feedback and updating your designs as required.
As part of a busy agency, you will be expected to work to tight deadlines and for clients with very particular demands. Reporting to a senior designer, you’ll need to be able to multitask and work on a variety of concurrent projects, often acting as the main point of contact for the client.
Whether you’re working on graphics for a research report or visualising data for a digital project, you’ll always be working with interesting clients and meaningful ideas. As our clients move towards ‘digital first’ communications we are particularly keen to appoint someone who can whose work will translate well into digital uses.
We are looking for a talented all-round designer at the beginning of their career who has a particular interest in data visualisation and infographics.
If you’re passionate about communicating complex ideas in really clear ways and meeting the needs of our clients and their audience, this could be the opportunity for you.
You will have an excellent command of written and spoken English and you should be ready to explain and justify design decisions to the client and your colleagues.
And if, on top of all this, you can demonstrate an interest in current affairs, public policy or open data, that would be the cherry on the cake.
- Engaging with clients and colleagues to ensure that the brief for individual jobs and projects is clearly defined and understood.
- Working efficiently to execute design work of a very high standard that clearly meets these briefs.
- Supporting other designers in carrying out their work, including deputising for more senior colleagues.
- Assisting colleagues as required in quoting for design, and in marketing and pitching for work, as well as contributing to the strategy and creative vision for the agency.
- Contributing to the continuous improvement of the agency’s practices, with a particular emphasis on data visualisation design.
- Keeping up with current trends and innovations in design and other relevant fields, and enhancing existing or learning new skills, as part of his or her own continuing professional development.
- Undergraduate degree in graphic design or a similar discipline
- Superb Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop skills
- Excellent command of written English and exceptional attention to detail
- Demonstrable professional experience as a designer
- Experience of producing designs for data visualisation, infographics or long-format research publications
- An interest in current affairs, public policy and open data
- Experience of working in a customer-facing role
We offer a competitive salary and a good benefits package with some great perks, including:
- 34 days holiday per year (including public holidays)
- Cycle to work loans
- Pension scheme
- Family friendly policies including flexitime working
- Childcare vouchers