Posted on 7 September 2017
Junior Copywriter at National Citizen Service (NCS) TrustNational Citizen Service (NCS) is a once in a lifetime experience for 16 and 17 year olds – they take part in outdoor activities, meet new people and have the chance to give something back to their communities. Through NCS, their confidence grows as they learn new skills that they can put on CVs and university and college applications.
NCS runs across England in the summer and during academic breaks in autumn and spring. It is a flagship voluntary programme for 16 and 17 year olds, which aims to create:
- A more engaged society – by enabling young people to work together on social action projects in and with their communities
- A more cohesive society – by mixing young people of different genders, places, ethnicities, religions, abilities, and socio--economic and educational backgrounds with each other and older generations
- A more responsible society – by supporting young people’s transition to adulthood through personal social development, challenging activities and guided reflection.
NCS Trust is a non-profit community interest company that exists to shape, support, champion and lead a thriving National Citizen Service. We are working to make NCS available to every 16 and 17 year old in England, and more than 100,000 young people have taken part in NCS so far.
We are looking for a Junior Copywriter to operate within the Marketing team, supporting our Copywriter.
We’re looking for a creative individual with a demonstrable passion for writing. The ideal candidate will have experience of or an interest in working in the not-for-profit sector. They will be a conceptual writer with a fun, quirky edge whose voice lends itself to a youth audience.
The successful candidate will help support the creation of copy for a wide variety of projects, including NCS programme recruitment materials, email campaigns, schools presentations, web page content and newsletters. You will be confident adapting and tailoring messages to very distinct audiences – including young people, parent/guardians, schools/colleges and our network of delivery partners.
The Junior Copywriter will be responsible for managing relationships with our alumni, for example mentoring alumni writers, interviewing alumni for blog articles.
- The post-holder will be required to respond to internal briefs from internal departments to produce, for example:
CRM copy for young people/teens, parents & guardians and graduates, using CRM programmes such as SMS, DM and email
- Social re-targeting, website, social media advertising, SEO copy
- Recruitment materials to communicate with young people/teens, parents & guardians and schools/colleges
- Message houses, corporate narrative, press releases, media partnerships, thought leadership reports, internal communications, brand guidelines, brand campaign assets, Annual Conference materials, Marketing Workshop materials, advertising/customer service scripts,
- CEO’s office – letters, presentations, annual company report, speeches, blogs, social media outreach, business plans
- Proofreading approval rights over all external materials
- Minimum of 1 year copywriting experience either in-house or agency
- A demonstrable passion for writing evidenced across a portfolio of work
- Degree educated, preferably in English, Journalism or Creative Writing
- Experience of writing for a not-for-profit or youth audience is valued
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Diverse and creative portfolio
Skills & Attributes:
- A creative, conceptual thinker who's comfortable in a range of writing formats: from serious long copy to a witty one-liner
- A versatile writer who can connect with different audiences with a demonstrable experience of working for a youthful audience
- A strong proofreader with an impeccable standard of grammar
- A genuine passion for making a difference and an understanding of NCS
- A team-player who enjoys working with a range of creative people
- A collaborative team player who is able to receive, interpret and act on feedback from various stakeholders
- A positive and conscientious self-starter who works well in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Highly organised with an ability to prioritise and work to fast-changing and sometimes conflicting deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure and to detailed direction
- Excellent organisational and communication skills with a strong attention to detail
- A collaborative and enthusiastic team player who is able to receive, interpret and act on feedback from various stakeholders
- While youth brand experience is valued but not essential, a passion for youthful design is essential
- Creatively curious
Offer type: This is a permanent, full-time role.
Remuneration: The salary for this role is competitive, dependent on skills, experience and organisational fit. Additional benefits are a 5% non-contributory pension and a discretionary 10% performance-related bonus.
Location: The role is based in West London
How to ApplyHow to apply: Please send your CV to email@example.com
Your covering email should:
- Include the job title in the subject line
- Make clear the role you are applying for
- Outline how you satisfy the specific Experience and Skills & Attributes elements we list above
- Say what attracts you to us and this role