Posted on 7 September 2017
Mid-weight Designer at National Citizen Service (NCS) TrustNational Citizen Service (NCS) is a once in a lifetime experience for 16 and 17 year olds – they take part in outdoor activities, meet new people and have the chance to give something back to their communities. Through NCS, their confidence grows as they learn new skills that they can put on CVs and university and college applications.
NCS runs across England in the summer and during academic breaks in autumn and spring. It is a flagship voluntary programme for 16 and 17 year olds, which aims to create:
A more engaged society – by enabling young people to work together on social action projects in and with their communities
A more cohesive society – by mixing young people of different genders, places, ethnicities, religions, abilities, and socio-economic and educational backgrounds with each other and older generations
A more responsible society – by supporting young people’s transition to adulthood through personal social development, challenging activities and guided reflection.
NCS Trust is a non-profit community interest company that exists to shape, support, champion and lead a thriving National Citizen Service. We are working to make NCS available to every 16 and 17 year old in England, and more than 100,000 young people have taken part in NCS so far.
We are looking for an in-house Midweight Designer to work within our Creative Team. We are looking for a creative and experienced individual with a passion for design and youth culture. Working under the supervision of the Senior Designer and reporting to the Creative Manager, this role will act as key support to the Marketing & Communications department, creating print and digital assets for both internal and external communications.
The Midweight Designer's key responsibilities are:
- Create original content with minimal / no budget and often repurposing previously produced material.
- Strategically interpret briefs for artwork and assets across a variety of channels and platforms from print and digital to merchandise and event collateral, often to a tight budgets and deadlines
- Apply learnings e.g. from consumer research, post campaign analysis or creative optimisation to future work
- Offer general template and presentation support across the Marketing department
- Use the NCS Brand Guidelines to ensure the NCS brand is always correctly presented and positioned
- Retouch photography
- Present creative ideas in presentations to senior members of the organisation
- Ensure the NCS Brand is always correctly presented and positioned, giving guidance and feedback to both internal and external partners in how to execute the brand
- Research and recommend on current design trends across all audiences and competitors
- Mentor the Junior Designer
- A highly creative and self-motivated designer
- A strategic designer, comfortable in applying insight into creative work
- A collaborative team player who is able to receive, interpret and act on feedback from various stakeholders
- A positive and conscientious self-starter who works well in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and under pressure, often to detailed direction and sometimes with minimal direction
- Excellent organisational and communication skills with a strong attention to detail
- Creatively curious, both from a consumer perspective and also with reference to design trends in the industry
- A drive to push the creative envelope with an understanding of the importance of brand consistency
Skills & Attributes:
- Excellent working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite
- Highly organised with an ability to prioritise and work to fast-changing and sometimes conflicting deadlines.
- Ability to work on different types of projects e.g. print / digital
- Skilled in Adobe Creative Cloud applications and comfortable mentoring Junior Designer on applications where necessary
- Strong communication skills in order to clearly explain design choices and rationale and strong presentation skills to pitch to senior members of the organisation
- An excellent eye for detail
- Motivated to challenge themselves to deliver consistently strong work relevant to the audience
- Not afraid to try something new and experiment with new technologies or techniques but also happy to work to strict brand guidelines when required
Offer type: This is a permanent, full-time role.
Remuneration: The salary for this role is competitive, based on skills, experience and organisational fit. Additional benefits are a 5% non-contributory pension and a discretionary 10% performance-related bonus.
Location: The role is based in West London
How to ApplyHow to apply: Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your covering email should:
- Include the job title in the subject line
- Make clear the role you are applying for
- Outline how you satisfy the specific Experience and Skills & Attributes elements we list above
- Say what attracts you to us and this role