Posted on 2 October 2017
Editorial Illustrator at Culture TripFounded by London-based, former academic psychiatrist Dr Kris Naudts, Culture Trip is a highly ambitious and fast growing, global tech/media startup with offices in London, New York and Tel Aviv and a vast global contributor network of writers, videographers, photographers and illustrators around the world. The company was recently featured in Forbes as one of five fast-growing businesses to watch in 2017.
After a few years of bootstrapping and experimenting, the start-up received a seed round of $2M by top media/tech investor in summer 2015. This was followed by a $20M Series A in summer 2016. Since then, the company has ramped up its technological capabilities and editorial output and built initial sales teams in London and New York. From only 12 employees in summer 2016 it has grown to more than 120 in-house staff, hiring top talent from Google, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, The Guardian and ITV. The company sees itself as a tech company at its core with media and creative work as its output. We’re passionate about bringing compelling content to every corner of the world through our global community of writers, videographers and photographers, and illustrators.
Within the last 6 months, the company has experienced triple digit growth across its social media accounts, now with more than 4 million followers. Its Facebook account is now ranked as one of the top three travel brands on the platform worldwide. Over 10 million people visit Culture Trip’s website each month (up from 2.5 million MUVs only 6 months ago) and more than 400k people have installed our app. We are set for yet more explosive growth and are going through a major recruitment drive for our editorial, commercial, technology and social teams around the world. Our vision is bold: we aim to create the world’s largest media company, powered by a global community and cutting-edge technology.
We are looking for illustrators with experience working with editorial content, either in print or digital. You will be responsible for creating visuals to accompany articles written by our in-house editorial team and global hubs, as well as self-led projects. The ability to brainstorm, ideate, create and execute content plans with your team and work quickly to mobilise around key events, trends and news is crucial. Equally important is enthusiasm, a positive attitude, the capability to collaborate with other teams in the company and adapt to a frequently changing startup environment.
- Brainstorm ideas for illustration-led content, working with the Editorial teams to bring these to fruition
- Collaborate with other in-house Illustrators and Animators, as well as Illustration Commissioners in other teams, to come up with format and series ideas
- Work with your content team to brainstorm and create content plans covering key events and trends in EMEA
- With the help of our Art Directors, ensure that your work adheres to our brand and style guidelines
- Work with the Visual Content, Editorial and Social teams to ensure we maximise the use of quality illustrations across the company
- Collaborate with the commercial teams to deliver commercial projects on time
Desired skills and experience:
- Previous experience of editorial illustration in the context of online media platforms
- Exceptional illustration / storytelling skills and a keen eye and passion for design
- An interest in contemporary design trends
- Highly skilled within Creative Suite
- Individual style
- Aptitude for web analytics is desirable, including experience with Google Analytics or other related software
- Previous experience with Digital Asset Management systems would be an asset
- Evidence of working with a variety of different formats would be beneficial
- An in-depth knowledge of European locations and out-of-the-box thinking to cover these locations in an editorially creative way
- Detail oriented, multi-tasker and thrives in a fast-paced work environment
- Self-motivated and entrepreneurial
- Ability to work within a cross-functional team
- Creative thinker
- Minimum 2 years’ experience (within a design studio or freelance)
We value ambitious, adaptable individuals who possess the passion and drive to bring Culture Trip’s mission to fruition in every aspect of their work. With an action bias, you should be a humble, hard working self-starter who is eager to take on their next challenge. Your style should be open, inclusive, honest, and collaborative. Our employees are passionate about culture, travel, food, and the arts and are committed to our mission of exploring all the interesting differences which make our world so unique.
How to ApplyEmail us on firstname.lastname@example.org, attaching your CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a great candidate for this role. Please state your current salary and notice period. We will not be accepting incomplete applications.
Make sure you include ‘Editorial Illustrator – London’ in the subject line of your email.
We’re accepting applications until 15 October 2017, and would like the successful candidate to start ASAP.