Posted on 4 October 2017
Junior/Mid-Weight Graphic Designer at The EconomistThe Economist is a prestigious, global news company covering international business and world affairs, first published in 1843. We deliver our information through a range of formats, from newspapers and magazines to websites and a range of Apps. What ties us together is the objectivity of our opinion, the originality of our insight and our advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
We are seeking a full-time junior graphic designer to work as part of our London-based editorial design team on the weekly print edition of The Economist newspaper, producing the editorial pages to an exacting standard.
Initial 3-month short-term contract, with a view to possible longer-term or permanent employment
- Reporting to the Head of Graphics, and working closely with the Art Director, section editors and the picture desk
- Design layouts for The Economist magazine using the CCI publishing system.
- Commission illustrations for the weekly publication and other special sections of the newspaper.
- Produce design ideas for special supplements and ensure that design principles are in line with the fonts, colours, and overall design direction of The Economist Group brand guidelines.
- Shift work will be necessary at peak periods of the working week.
- There will be scope for some digital projects, but the print edition will be the main focus.
Experience and skills:
- A good level of general education, and a design degree or equivalent qualification would be preferable.
- A good understanding of the importance of brand guidelines and how to work within them.
- A proficiency in the use of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop and some experience of using Illustrator
- Fluency in English
You will be able to demonstrate:
- Self-motivation, good communication skills and a keen attention to detail.
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively with editors and design staff.
- The ability to perform well, stay calm and reliable under pressure.
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.