Posted on 6 October 2017
Graphic Designer at Wood Green, The Animals CharityDepartment: Marcomms and Digital Engagement
Reports to: Head of Creative Content GRADE
The Designers’ main responsibility is to help to deliver creative solutions for the organisation, but the designer will also be key in communicating the need for content collection and asset management
The job description and person specification reflect the duties of the post as they exist at this time and may be subject to changed based on the needs of the department. The post-holder may be required to undertake other duties commensurate with the salary and competence requirements of this post from time to time as required
- To deliver creative, considered design solutions that meet the client’s business objectives and maximises the vision, look and feel of the Wood Green brand across all materials. The post holder will achieve this through understanding the organisation’s values, and interpreting creative strategies and objectives.
- To efficiently and effectively project manage creative briefs from concept through to completion for a wide range of print and digital materials, within agreed budgets and timescales, and ensuring work meets agreed quality and client service standards.
- To develop design styles and frameworks for project literature to support Wood Green’s brand identity.
- To consistently add value to Wood Green by providing a high quality, customer focussed in-house creative service
- Interpret client briefs into meaningful creative briefs using exploratory evaluation.
- Deliver creative and purposeful design solutions, from concepts through to hi-resolution digital artwork, for a range of corporate literature including internal publications and external reports and brochures, project literature, a broad mix of fundraising materials, retail point of sale materials and large scale graphics.
- Deliver creative and meaningful design solutions from concepts through to final formats suitable for digital channels.
- Create illustrations and graphics as required to answer briefs for both digital and print outputs.
- Work closely with photographers/film makers organising and art directing shoots on location.
- Work closely with the Marketing and Digital Engagement team to continuously apply and evolve the brand to meet strategic and business objectives.
- Work closely with and to take direction from the Head of Creative Content.
- Liaise with colleagues across the organisation with reference to content, design and final approval of all collateral.
- Deliver according to agreed schedules, managing expectations with the Head of Creative Content and clients of any problems or delays before or as they occur to enable alternative plans to be made.
- Work with studio quality control systems, including ensuring all work is approved by the Head of Creative Content before going to client or to print.
- Keep a full and accurate job history for all projects worked on using an in house project management system, working closely with the production and client services team.
- Respond to internal and external requests for corporate brand materials, including Wood Green logos and photographs, ensuring corporate style guidelines are followed.
- Liaise with clients across the organisation as required, to progress creative work through to final approval and digital artwork stage.
- Attend client meetings to understand, discuss and develop the creative brief and to present concepts, gain feedback and develop creative work as necessary.
- Liaise with external suppliers as required, including designers, design agencies, digital agencies, illustrators, animators, photographers, film makers and printers, checking proofs/end product to meet quality standards.
- Play an active role in the team and in team development.
- Take active interest in current design trends.
- To perform any other tasks assigned by Head of Creative Content
As much as a designer needs to be a creative expert, the ability to build relationships at all levels across the organisation is also key. Managing people, influencing briefs and managing expectations is essential in this role.
Key working relationships:
- Internal contacts: Key stakeholders throughout Re-homing, Education, Outreach, Fundraising, Volunteering, Retail and Hospitality Close integrated working required with Communications, Digital and IT.
- External contacts: Agencies, freelancers and consultants as required
Required to visit and build relationships across all Wood Green sites and shops.
The Marcomms and the Digital Engagement Team is the central hub of communications and digital expertise within the organisation. It works with key stakeholders throughout the organisation to deliver marketing and communication strategies, products, ideas, content and tactics that ensure Wood Green continues to Rehome Animals, offer support to pet owners and engage with our supporters across all channels.
The team is responsible for:
- Developing and implementing the Marketing and Digital Engagement Strategy for the organisation.
- Developing the relevant tactics and ideas for integrated Marketing and Communications strategies and campaigns across the organisation.
- Managing and/or inputting in the build and promotion of assets for stakeholders across the organisation.
- Ensuring the Wood Green brand is protected and enhanced via all channels
- Ensuring all content is optimised for the channel and the audience intended for.
- Using their knowledge and expertise in communications to add value to Wood Green staff, volunteers and ‘customers’.
- Using networks and communities to work and communicate with our target audiences in the UK, and to acquire and retain supporters across the five key counties in the UK.
- Together the team will ensure that Wood Green has a strategic approach to new and emerging media, creating tools, processes and systems to enable the organisation to be at the forefront of, and take advantage of new technologies.
- Knowledge of designing for web and digital platforms
- Knowledge and experience of art direction
- Creating work in InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Adobe Acrobat (CC). Knowledge of Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects is desirable.
- Knowledge and appreciation of branding and corporate identity principles.
- Knowledge (and experience) of photography – using a digital camera and editing shoots.
- Knowledge and practical experience of reprographic and printing processes.
- Able to work independently or as part of a team.
- Ability to project manage multiple projects to deadline and budget, at any given time.
- Client handling skills including diplomacy, negotiation and influencing skills.
- Recognised Graphic Design qualification to degree level or equivalent.
- Conceptual thinking, with natural design talent and a flair for typography.
- Using your organisational and time management skills within a client based/delivery environment
- Professional design experience in a studio environment – working as part of a creative team in an agency or in-house.
- Working in a PC and an Apple Mac environment, hands-on experience of the industry standard packages – InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Adobe Acrobat (CC). Experience of using Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects is desirable.
- Advanced knowledge of using Photoshop for high-end retouching and image manipulation.
- Using Illustrator to create all vector graphics (including charts, logos and illustrations).
- Using Adobe software to create interactive pdfs.
- Using Adobe Premier Pro (or similar software) to edit films
- Ability to create animation
- Managing projects from exploring the full potential of each brief through the creative process to completion including post project evaluation.
- Maintaining and promoting the use of a central digital asset management system
- Promoting the need for content collection from staff at all levels across the organisation.
- Personally creating design solutions from initial brief through to preparation of digital artwork for print
- Producing design for digital media.
- Understanding of UX.
- Working on a wide range of promotional material from advertisements and posters through to brochures and newsletters.
- Working to corporate identity guidelines and within set templates and creative strategies.
- Working to tight deadlines and to pre-agreed client budgets.
- Managing a number of projects at a time.
- Working as part of team to achieve set targets.
- Liaising with clients and external suppliers
Wood Green Basis and Values :
- Able to respect the basis and work with our values with a commitment to and an understanding of equality of opportunity
- Ability to work outside normal office hours as the role demands.
- Ability to attend meetings outside office hours and stay overnight when necessary.
- Ability to travel throughout the UK as the role demands.
- Able to work within a non-smoking environment