Posted on 7 November 2017
Graphic Designer at PublicaPublica specialises in strategies and design for public space, urban design and masterplanning. We are based in Clerkenwell Green, London.
Publica is a multi-disciplinary team of urban designers, graphic designers and researchers. We place great emphasis on our visual communications and our in-house graphic design team is integral to our practice.
We are currently looking for a talented and conscientious Graphic Designer to support our Head of Graphic Design in the design and production of all of Publica’s visual outputs, and the development and implementation of the company’s identity across its printed and digital materials. This is a creative and varied position within an in-house environment. Our ideal candidate will have experience working on editorial design projects and taking them from inception to completion; an excellent eye for detail and typography within a fast-paced environment; the ability to work under pressure and manage their own workload and deadlines across several projects; excellent communication skills and an enthusiasm for working collaboratively.
This role reports to the Head of Graphic Design:
- Editorial design of reports, presentations and other materials for Publica projects.
- Development of project identities and associated materials, and delivering projects from brief to completion.
- Production of materials: liaising with external printers and suppliers; source quoyes and sample materials; and prepare documents for print and electronic delivery.
- Day-to-day management of own workload across several projects and deadlines, liaising with project teams on content and schedules.
- The design and/or artworking of maps, infographics, photographs, drawings and other visual materials.
- Design and development of materials for the communications team, including: presentation design for talks and events, design of graphics for short films, websites, emailers and other associated marketing materials.
- Assisting with the design and production of company information and tender brochures for the sales team.
- Design, artworking and uploading of content for the Publica website.
- Implementing the Publica identity across all external communications and in-house materials.
- To provide technical assistance to the wider project team for InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.
- To clearly articulate graphic design decisions and timescales to project teams.
- To respond proactively and efficiently to deadlines and ability to prioritise tasks.
- General design related administration duties.
Experience and skills required
- 2–3 years’ editorial design experience, eg. working with large amounts of content, working with editors/proofreaders, high standard of typographic design.
- Proven experience of preparing and managing print production
- A portfolio showcasing:
- Branding and identity projects
- Editorial design
- Projects for print and digital
- A good eye for typography and detail
- Experience of preparing projects for print
- Well executed creative and ambitious design solutions
- Proven experience of working within a collaborative design team in a studio environment.
- An astute eye for detail and accuracy in a fast-paced environment is essential.
- Ability to take creative direction and quickly understand design briefs and deliver appropriate research, concepts and finished work.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work individually as well as part of a wider team.
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise and multitask.
- Proactive, innovative, resourceful and self-motivated.
- Ability to work independently and manage own time to meet deadlines.
- An enthusiasm and awareness of current trends and developments in graphic design.
- Excellent working knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Keynote and Adobe Acrobat.
- Desirable experience and skills
- Experience with working with complex drawing files, particularly maps.
- Experience and knowledge of film editing software, e.g. Final Cut.
- Experience of working in-house or for clients in the architecture/urban design sector.
- Interest in architecture, urbanism and the public realm.
Negotiable, based on experience.
Initial three-month contract, with a view to a permanent position.
Full time, 40 hours per week.
How to ApplyTo apply for this position, please send your CV, cover letter and short PDF of work samples (max attachment size 10MB) to email@example.com stating Graphic Designer application in the subject line. Your cover letter should state clearly why you are interested in working with Publica and what you would bring to this role.
A full job description is available at this link: publica.co.uk/documents/publica_jd_graphicdesigner.pdf